Thursday, September 13, 2012

Change


This phrase is so true--not just in workouts, but in life.  With my "fit-versary" coming up, I feel like I should talk about the catalyst for my biggest change.

I can't believe my daughter is turning 4 in 5 short days.  I never even wanted a daughter--I've never been a girlie-girl. Give me bugs, dirt and camping over makeup, princesses and dolls any day of the week.  So I was surprised and a little scared when God decided to bless us with a girl.  It didn't take me long to realize that **I** was going to a be a role model for her.  Me back then didn't love myself. I put myself down, I hated myself every time I looked in the mirror. No self confidence. I always talked about wanting to change, but never did it.

Summer was born and I realized I did not want her to grow up with those same issues.  I wanted her to look in the mirror and know she was strong and confident.  I KNEW that if I wanted her to have that kind of self esteem, I needed to fix my own first. Because she would learn from me.

I'll never forget one of my first running outings with my dear friend Allison . . . she said to me "You seem really committed.  What's different this time?"   I told her I was done.  I was ready to be more.   You have to be ready for change.

I was so blessed, as I began my journey, to have a great support system.  Active friends who encouraged me to run.  My husband, who stayed home with both kids so that I could go to boot camp.  The trainers there pushed me.  But I pushed myself too.  I never quit.  They underestimated me at first and I relished in proving them wrong.

But it was Summer, my beautiful, crazy, always challenging daughter, that made me realize I needed to take the plunge.  For me.  For her.  For every girl who has never felt worthy of love or good things because of her size.



So thanks, baby girl, for making mommy face herself and grow.  Its her birthday, but in a way, I was reborn too.  And if there is anything I can't stress enough, there is something amazing in each of us. Just waiting to come out. 

 Last, but not least, I have to share this brilliant ad campaign by Nike.  You've probably seen it by now, but it always makes me tear up.  Because Greatness really is in each of us.  I hope we can show the next generation that. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it. You even made me shed a tear or two. I admit that is kind of easy to do, but I love how you were able to make yourself a priority. Daughters are blessings in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete