Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Soap Box Moment - The big lie

In casual conversation today, someone said to me, in regard to race pace: "Some people have it, and some people don't." 


This is a LIE.

This is why I wrote on my hand this past weekend "I RACE AGAINST MYSELF."

Just because you are not running a 9 minute mile (or a 12 minute mile or a 7 minute mile or a freaking 4 minute mile) does not mean that what you are doing has less merit.  Nor does it mean that the person who is faster doesn't work just as hard for what they get.

Do not sell  yourself short people.  Not in the gym, not at home, not on the road.

There has been a shift in my mindset.  After my first half, I felt a little bad when my friend Amanda was bummed she missed her goal, because I felt like I would have KILLED for her time.  I didn't understand it so much then.  But I do now.   You HAVE to look at where you start, where you came from and how far you've come.

It is NOT that some people have it and some people don't.  We ALL have it.  Every single one of us.  Yes, some of us start at a worse place.  Some of us start at 220lbs. (Raises a hand).  Some of us start heavier. Lighter.  Slower. Faster.  

Don't let little negative thoughts worm their way into your effort.  Think about where you started. Where you are.  Where you are going.  WHY you are doing what you are doing.  Because news flash people:  we life in a nation that is in a HEALTH CRISIS.  The only way to show people that its possible is to do it.  And be open about our journey.  Its not an easy road. 

So whether its a walk around the block, a healthy food choice, a step in the right direction, or a PR at a race--celebrate it.  Remember it.  And move continuously forward.

Okay, done now. I swear.

3 comments:

  1. Why in the world would someone say that to you? I'm so proud of you from afar. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Linds! In her defense, I don't think she meant it THAT way (as an intentional dig), but well . . . ya know. :-) Its just a hard thing, because people do loose momentum when they feel like they are being judged or can't be "good enough." We all struggle with that!

      Delete