Friday, March 1, 2013

Remembering why we're all here

It's been one of those weeks around here.  The sickies keep recirculating around our house, schedules are conflicting, everyone is tired and grumpy. Its one of those weeks when I feel like I'm not getting anything done.  I get the workouts in I HAVE to in order to be ready for Egg Hunt on March 30th, but I haven't gotten to do anything else "for fun," like the group classes at the Y that serve as my social outlet.  Plus I've been cooped up in the house more than I care to recount.

But yesterday I spent 90 minutes in coach training for my son's soccer team at the Homestead YMCA.  I won't lie--I didn't want to coach.  I'm not a patient person.  I don't know CRAP about soccer.  Heck, I'm really not even a people person.  But I came out of that coach's meeting truly excited about helping out.


Because in the end, being excited about health and fitness is why we're all here.  Some of us started getting fit so that we could keep up with our kids, or STAY ALIVE for our kids.  Some of us have been doing it all our lives.  But all of us KEEP doing it because we love the way it feels.  We love the friends we make while we're doing it.  We love the places it takes us.

I'm really looking forward to spending an hour twice a week spending time on a soccer field for the next few months.  I don't know jack about soccer, but I'll learn.  I DO know I want my kids to continue loving to play silly games and have fun in their lives, even as they grow up.  So I will gladly go out there and play fun games with soccer fundamentals with my favorite little guy and his friends.

Because at the end of the day--its not all about the miles, or the calories burnt, or whether you were the fastest/ran the farthest/lifted the most. 

Its about the memories, the lives you impacted, and the smiles you brought to those around you.  Its about the super cool things you saw when you took the time to look around, like these manatees I saw on my ride last weekend.  They were so beautiful, and so many of the larger pelotons zipped right on by them without even seeing the two mamas and two babies surfacing for air.

Will coaching my kid's soccer team bring about world peace? Doubtful.  But it will allow me to share a passion for fitness with a bunch of impressionable kids.  Above all else, it made my son ecstatic that I'll be out on the field with him every day.

Enjoy the ride.  Focus not on the numbers on the scale, but on the positive changes you're making in your life. ALWAYS take the time to encourage someone--someone new to fitness, a friend on her first 5K, your kids when they try something new. As Ghandi once said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."  It won't move mountains, but its a start.


In other news, congrats to Gigi Becker for winning our giveaway. Gigi is going to be on our almost-a-reality Ragnar Keys 2014 team.  Looking forward to meeting her in less than 11 months!

Have a fabulous weekend friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment