Thursday, December 4, 2014

Key Biscayne Half Marathon + The Rest of October

October 5, 2014
One week after Escape to Miami, we had signed up to run the Key Biscayne Half Marathon.  No part of me really wanted to go run this race, especially since I knew I had to tack an extra seven miles on after to hit my first (and as it turned out ONLY) 20 miler.   I spent the week in active recovery--running only 5.5 miles and spending around two hours on the bike.

Had an absolute BLAST doing this race just because we had a huge contingent of Tough Chiks present.  My friend Jess, who will be running Palm Beaches with me this weekend, Karen, who has been my training partner for a lot of the long runs I have done this year (and has calmed me at every freakout), and Gillian, who runs with us regularly and is just awesome sauce.  Seriously love these ladies.  Oh yeah, my hubby was there too, but its not like we run together soooo . . . :-)


Gillian grabbed this pic of Jess and I during one of our walk intervals as we hit the bridge.  Yeah, this girl and I are going to absolutely slay 26.2 this weekend.  Wouldn't do it with anyone else. <3

I really, really REALLY love how Multirace does videos of their events--it allows those of you who aren't locals to see the beauty we are spoiled with on our runs. 

2014 KB Half Marathon & 10K - A MultiRace Production from Multi Race on Vimeo.

After finishing the half, Jess and I handed our medals to our hubbys (because we are crazy people) and took off for another 5 miles.  It was so nice to catch up. 


I came home and still did an extra three more in the evening, to make it all the way to 20. It was a crazy crazy crazy day.

Unfortunately, back to back weekends of racing + every day life kicked me in the butt.  We all got sick, and it derailed my training significantly.  I ended up with a 25 mile bike the following week, instead of the 50 I was planning, and then was promptly knocked on my butt, missing a whole weekend of training.  I bumped down the schedule 23 miles I had for the end of October to 17.   Then suddenly it was November, I found myself feeling incredibly undertrained for 70.3 on November 9th.  Commence freak out.

Next up: Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are blogging again :) and you are a BEAST and you know I mean that in the most amazing way. You are such an inspiration!! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete