Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Pre-Ragnar Tale . . . These Shoes.

 
So.  These shoes.  These shoes were new when we did Ragnar last year.  A impulsive sale rack purchase at Sports Authority.  (Not something I would recommend doing unless you know what you are looking for.)

They hurt my feet when I first got them.  I almost always have to "break in" my shoes, even though I know they say you aren't supposed to.  Whatever.  I have stupid feet. 

I hated them every time I ran, but I packed them for Ragnar because my tried and true shoes were starting to really show their age and I KNEW I was going to need these babies at some point.  So I put them on for my second leg (night leg) and was regretting it by mile 2 because I hurt. EVERYWHERE.  It was hot and humid,  I was so so so so not mentally prepared for that second leg, because I was expecting it to be cool and beautiful and instead, I got hot and humid instead.  By mile 6 I was just ready to be done.  Add some tummy troubles into the mix, and I was in tears when I finished my 9.9 miles.  Mostly because it was at a 12:45 pace, which I felt was a letdown.  I wanted to throw those shoes in the TRASH CAN.

Its really funny thinking about that now, because I'm willingly and happily packing those shoes again this year.  They are my "down and dirty" shoes these days.  I spent my ENTIRE triathlon season in these shoes, mostly because most of the tris this year involved trail running and these shoes have great support for hitting the trails.  These trails carried me through the 19 mile disaster that was the Super Hero Scramble with very little foot pain.   This year these shoes will keep me company on my second leg again, 8.2 miles on a canal trail.  Its probably going to be hot and crazy and I absolutely can't wait.

The differences between me as a runner this year and last year is HUGE.  I was still a fledgling last year.  I only had 1 half marathon under my belt.  I didn't have THAT much mileage. Ragnar was THE event that made me embrace endurance events.  Since then, I've done 2 more halfs, a ten miler, a 19 mile OCR and one international tri.  I've consistently logged 20-30 mile weeks since triathlon season ended.   I've learned how to recover quicker and fuel myself better.  I can NOT WAIT to see how all of this translates on the open road.

Emphasis on OPEN ROAD.  This is an open road race.  There are no lane closures.  There is little support, except that provided by your team mates.  I can not wait to get this crazy journey on the road again.  And I suspect to make some more good memories in these shoes.


PS.  Go check out team-mate Gigi's pre-Ragnar post!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read all about it!! You are so inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete