Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 In Review

Its hard to take time and reflect on 2012's accomplishments right now.  Ragnar is LITERALLY right around the corner, and our household is dealing with the reality of doing a multi-day relay race with two small children when both parents are participating and the closest family member is thousands of miles away.  It's a small miracle that the stars are aligning enough for this to happen.  Its stressful and all-consuming, but so terribly exciting I can hardly contain myself.

2012 really was incredible, though, and I would be remiss if I didn't take time to reflect.  I became a runner in December 2009, when I stopped hating it and started really living for it.  2012, though, was the year in which I REALLY came into my own as an athlete.  I had dabbled before--I did a triathlon, I did a few 5Ks, but I rocked it in 2012. 
The highlights/milestones:

I did my first half marathon in March. 
Chris, Jess (neighbor and running buddy extraordinaire), Amanda, and me

It was epic for many reasons, but especially because I finally got to meet Amanda (AKA TooTallFritz).  I've told this story before, but Amanda and I were friends before I became a runner, from a random Weimaraner message board on Yahoo.  When I started running, she mentored me and answered my 1,001 stupid questions.  I honestly don't know if I would be who I am today if she hadn't patiently answered my questions and encouraged me. Looking forward to hanging with her in 2013 for Ragnar.

My grandpa died

 Obviously this wasn't a high point in the year.  My grandpa was a corner stone of my childhood and of our family.  But he and my Grandma had THAT kind of love, and I had so many happy memories of them growing up.  So it was nice to know they were back together again.  It was incredibly sad for me to spend mother's day away from my kids.  But nice to spend mother's day with my mom.  This was the first time I'd been through something rough without my husband by my side.  I can say that I have been blissfully without real tradgedy in my life--I've attended very few funerals.  But this was my first without Brad.  Without him to lean on, I had to be the strong one.  It sucked, but it built character.  Because I was so young when we got married (barely 21 and still in college), I have very little experience standing on my own.  It was an enlightening, albiet sad, experience to need to be the strong one and stand on my own.  Grandpa had 89 amazing years.  He touched so many lives and I can't help but smile when I think of him and my Grandma reunited in heaven.

Joining Team Tough Chik
 I was in a rut after my half marathon, made deeper by my Grandpa's passing.  I made the decision (again following Amanda's lead--no surprise there!) to join Team Tough Chik.  Best decision ever.  Its really great to have a group of like-minded women, who can relate to the chaos involved in being an endurance athlete.  I raced more because I was a part of the team.  More importantly, it was nice to have a group of people I could report my progress/accomplishments to without worrying that they would think I'm crazy, obsessed, slow, etc. etc. etc.  Absolutely the decision that made my 2012 as great as it was. \

Spelunking
Remember how I said I lean on my husband a lot?  Well, all of the really adventurous things I've done up to this year have been with him by my side.  Hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing.  He's my dive buddy AND my dive instructor.  So when I went spelunking in Mammoth Cave without him I was incredibly scared.  We traded off the kids so that we could both do it.   It was amazingly beautiful and exhilarating to do it on my own.

Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy

When I first decided to do the Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy, part of me really wondered if I would be able to stick through for the four races in the series.   I had previously competed in a single tri several years ago.  I wasn't sure I had the stamina to keep in "race shape" and compete for four months.  But I did it.  I got better.  I got a road bike.  I even placed.  By the end of the fourth race in September, I felt like a true athlete. 

Cycling
When I started getting serious about triathlon, I realized I needed a new bike.  My mom, bless her, decided to get me my birthday present very, very early.  I got a road bike and fell in love with cycling.  Part of the thing that makes cycling so incredible for me is that I get to ride with one of my best buds and we get to catch up.  Its liberating and enjoyable, and its easy on my joints.  Cycling has made me a stronger runner and a more rounded athlete.  I absolutely love it.  2012 is also the year I became a cyclist.

10 years of marraige
My husband and I celebrated 10 years of marriage in December.   In this day and age, that in and of itself is saying something.  When you consider how much I have changed, especially in the past 4 years, its downright amazing.  My husband has been pretty darn supportive of some of my crazier endeavors, and doesn't complain (too much) about the mornings spend out on long runs or rides.  One of the best parts of this has been doing things together--we did the Warrior Dash this year, and the absolutely best thing about Ragnar is that he'll be there by my side.  In 2013, we'll run a half marathon together.

2012 has been an amazing year.  It has been a sad one too, for personal reasons and on a national level.  But its what we take away from the things life throws at us that makes us who we are.   I can't wait to see what 2013 holds.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment