Monday, January 14, 2013

When it all clicks


Running is so terribly hard to explain to those who don't love it.  I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me it boring, they can't do it, "the runner's high is a lie."  The fact of the matter is, running is never easy.  Its slogging out miles when your legs are tired and you really don't want to.  Its putting in extra time when you really want to go home.  If running is easy, you should be running faster or longer.  It doesn't ever really get easy.

But there are these rare moments, sometimes once a month, sometimes less, when everything lines up.  When you feel like you are flying effortlessly as your legs move. When you look down at your watch and realize you've just killed whatever goal you were chasing.  It is those moments that fuel you as you slog along for the next few weeks.

Tonight was one of those nights.  After weeks of unseasonable heat and humidity, it has finally cooled down here.  I haven't run after dark in a while.  Fueled by all of our ragnar adventures and a full two days off running, I felt like I was flying.  I hit a great pace, which I just need to work on HOLDING for more than half mile intervals.  I always fuss over my pace, because 11-12 minute miles are all I can currently hope for over a long run.  I know what I need to do to change that, and that's slowly increase tempo intervals. Nights like tonight are a nice reminder that all the slogging and hard work, hours on the treadmill and on the road, cross training and time on the bike pay off.  When you run, you have to remember to trust in the process.  It never feels easier.  But you ARE getting better, getting stronger, getting more fit. 

So remember.

You can do it.  You just have to decide you want to.  Don't worry that you are too slow or not good enough. Because you are just right.  And with some work, you will get faster. 



Running isn't easy.  Nothing worth doing is ever easy.  If it were easy everyone would be doing it.  But I've realized more things about myself on the road than I have almost anywhere else.  In day to day life, its hard not to get lost in the chaos--finances, drama, screaming kids.  When you are out putting one foot in front of the other, though, it melts away and you can see the beauty underneath.   So remember that the next time you don't want to step out the door.  Or when you get the courage up to step out of the door for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Angela! I love those perfect runs. But I always say you have to have a bad run to have a good run. It's always a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! And no, it dosen't get easier, you just get faster, stronger & your body learns to endure more. Keep it up & who knows where your body will take you. Enjoy the journey.

    Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! It's so great because it is so hard! Those runner's high runs are the best: I just had Sunday! :D

    ReplyDelete