Monday, April 22, 2013

The Family I never Expected

Source
Last Monday started out like any other Monday.  Drop the boy at school, gym time, home, work, pick up the boy.  It was the first time I had any interest in the Boston Marathon--tried to watch it at the gym but it wasn't on satellite and they didn't have any WiFi.   No big deal, I caught up with the results when I got home.  Noted that it was insane the female winner ran 26.2 in the time it takes me to run 13.1.   Went to pick up my son, went to let out my friend's dogs.

Its one of those moments we will remember forever . . . where we were when we heard the news. Just like 9/11.   I was sitting on my friend's couch, scratching her dogs, while my son did his homework.  My good friend Abbey texted me and asked "Heard about the marathon?  People are crazy!"  I thought she meant they were nuts for running, but that didn't make sense.  I didn't understand, texted her the obligatory "??" back.  She called me.  I knew something was wrong, because all of my mommy friends only call if its a big thing.  Then I turned on the news.  And realized the world was forever changed again.

Tragedy is always horrible.  But the site of THIS tragedy hit so much more closer to home for the running community than anything ever has before.  I have never run Boston (and probably never will) and haven't run a marathon (yet).  But I knew when I DO run a marathon, I want my family waiting for me at the finish line.  Which is exactly where the terrorists responsible for the Boston attacks targeted.  I felt sick.  It seemed the runners were safe, but holy cow, what about their families?

My kids were in the room.   I didn't want them to see, but I couldn't turn it off.  My son (who is 6), asked me "Were any of your friends running?"  The automatic answer was YES.  I knew at least one of my Team Tough Chik teammates was there.  I knew a couple of bloggers I followed were there.  But beyond that, every runner there was a friend.  He asked me if I could text them to see if they were okay.  I had to try to explain to him that we weren't THAT kind of friends.  Online friends.  But friends, all the same.  My mom immediately called and asked the same question. 

The running community was hit HARD by this tragedy.  Its hard to explain to those outside of it.  The finish line is a sacred place--a symbol of all the hard work that goes in to running a race. The place your family waits for you to celebrate what you've accomplished. And running in BOSTON is the accomplishment of a running career.  And while it is clear that we will NOT let these people win and conquer over us, we will never ever take a finish line for granted again.

My friend Allison posted this immediately after the bombings, and it ended up being so very true:

Beyond the amazing acts of heroism, the running community banded together.  Runners everywhere put on race shirts and hit the streets to show their support for those affected in Boston. 


When I started running, I never really expected to gain a whole other family.  Running, like motherhood, connects you to people that you would otherwise have no common ground with.  It doesn't matter whether you are fast or slow.  We understand each other.  

 Nothing says this better, than the photo below.  Lisa (Mom2Marathon) ran the Boston marathon and was nearing mile 26 when the bombings occurred.  She was unable to finish and was of course shaken by her experience.  One of our other Tough Chiks, Katye, who finished the Boston Marathon in 2011, sent her medal to Lisa, along with this lovely note.
In the face of heartbreak and sorrow, the human spirit always prevails.  There is more kindness in this world than there is darkness.  Those who live in the dark have to do horrible things so that we will pay attention to them, but in the end, the light always wins.  I'm so glad to be a part of this amazing family that is runners.  I'm thankful for my Tough Chik teammates, who have made this past week bearable--it was nice to know we weren't alone with our crazy emotions.


Please observe a moment of silence today at 2:50 for all those whose lives were lost or altered by the events last week.  And do something kind for someone today.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I cried when I saw that picture from Lisa. I've never been so proud to be a runner and a tough chik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfectly said.

    ReplyDelete