Thursday, August 7, 2014

Marathon Training - Weeks 6 & 7

I am LOVE LOVE LOVING using the Galloway method for marathon training.  I've always had issues with my mental game . . . I really haven't been able to be strong/consistent on the back half of races/runs.  Galloway is really fixing that for me.

The intervals work well training in the yucky summer South Florida humidity.  The recovery week continues to work well for my schedule. 

Week 6:
I squeezed in my long run from week 5 (10.5 miles) on Monday.  We had a huge summer storm move through, and while I love running in the rain, running in thunderstorms is just flat out reckless.  So I hit the dreadmill in the afternoon.  I was on a clock, since my neighbor was watching my kids and needed to leave soon.  I busted out 10.5 miles in just over 2 hours which for me, on a training run, is pretty good.  

Then life played its card and I got slammed with work.  SLAMMED.  As in, barely had time to sleep, yet alone work out.  I didn't work out again until Saturday morning, when I took a spin class.  And then proceeded to get a serious migraine and spend the weekend in my bed.  So basically, after my long run, week 6 was a BUST. 

Week 7:
Back on track (again). . . 
Monday - 800m in the pool, body pump (AM); Yoga (PM)
Tuesday - 3.33 miles, 400ish m in the pool (lost count) (AM); Yoga (PM)
Wednesday - 100 minutes spin (AM); Body Pump (PM)
Thursday - Kids wanted to go for a run, so we did a 1.5mi wog, 2 miles later in the afternoon alone, spin.
Friday - 1600m in the pool
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 12 mile long run. 
I got a late start--didn't leave the house until nearly 9:30am.  But it was an overcast day, which here makes a big difference.  I felt like I really found my stride and stuck to 4/1 intervals most of the run.  I usually do 3/1.  As the miles ticked off, I couldn't help but think about how training for 26.2 is changing my outlook on the long run.  Because 12 miles used to be a LONG run.  But this is just the beginning of the build.  14 miles, 17 miles, 20 miles, 23 miles, and 26 miles are yet to come before we toe the start line in 122 days. I was pleased with the splits and the pacing on this 12 miler--probably one of my better training runs.  (This doesn't include stoppage time for water refills).  

I was horribly sore after, but nothing an ice bath, a good stretch, and some gentle adjustments from the hubs wouldn't fix.  Its quite nice that Brad, who does not really care for yoga, will use all my yoga **stuff** and quietly adjust me in ways similar to how my guru does. :)

So, if you are facing down a daunting task, or have something you've been thinking about facing for awhile but just don't want to, remember that the only thing truly stopping you is yourself.  Write your own story, and go for it. 

Run on,
Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment