Sunday, July 28, 2013

Triathlon Trilogy - Course Overview

Last year when I started the Triathlon Trilogy, I wasn't even sure I would be able to do 4 races over the course of 4 months.  At the start of this series, I still had my crappy hybrid bike.  I had not yet become a cyclist.  I didn't have the faith in myself as an athlete that I do now.  In a way, I was still that shy, overweight girl that wasn't sure of herself. 

 This year this race moved to an entirely new site on Virgina Key, thanks to road construction.  I wasn't too sure about this course -- the bike called for two loops, and I do NOT enjoy doing loops.  Repetition bores me.  And this course map freaked me out a little.  But I LOVE this course. 

The U-turns on this course make it a fairly technical ride for a road course.  But the best part of those turns is that the longest continuous stretch is about 4 miles.   After each turn I could muster then energy to spin hard until the next turn.  Loved the mental aspect of this.  Add in a few little hills (major excitement in our pancake state), and I was in heaven.

The run section of this course  is very DIFFERENT from what I'm used to--its part trail, part road, part beach.  The beach section is brutal.  There is some beautiful scenery.  Very little shade.  Many of the athletes I talked to didn't care for the course, because of the sand.  But I love a challenge.  And this course is definitely that.

And really you can't beat a start view like this:

Race reports are next!

No comments:

Post a Comment