Monday, September 16, 2013

In The End

So, I raced yesterday.  Personal best in the swim and the bike.  First time for hubs racing.  Podium. It was great, but then this moment happened.


THIS moment is exactly why I started all this business in the first place. Because 5 years (minus 2 days) ago I held this tiny little girl in my arms and realized that everything she would learn about self esteem would come from me.

Being a girl was hard when *I* was a teenager.  It seems the world we live in is infinitely more complex than it was when I was a child.  National tragedies are becoming a nearly daily occurrence. Teenagers are having sex at a ridiculous age. The best thing I can do for her is give her the confidence to believe in herself. Because let's be real. Believing in yourself is a pretty important thing. Nothing, not even the love and support of a parent, will help our kids if they do not have the self confidence to stand up for themselves and others, especially one they are out there "in the world."
So it meant the world to me to have her up on the podium with me. Hands raised in victory. I will be proud of myself, and raise my arms in the air over every little victory. Because that is what I want for HER. I want her to raise her hands on victory and be proud of herself. If we, as women, can not be role models for our daughters, they are stuck with the Mylie Cyruses of the world. And THAT is a scary thing.
So the next time you have a victory, raise your hands up and celebrate, no matter how big or small that victory is. Victory is what you make it. BE PROUD OF YOURSELF. Because you never know when your children, your neice, or someone you may not even know (but who feels they can relate to you) is watching. In the end, what matters most is the impressions we leave on the people around us.
In the End 
As you fade into the night
Who will tell the story of your life
And who will remember your last goodbye?

Because its the end, 
And I'm not afraid to die . . .
-Black Veil Brides

No comments:

Post a Comment