Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hill training in the pancake state

 Even though the first race of triathlon season is literally RIGHT around the corner (Saturday), I'm thinking ahead to the Newport 10 Miler on April 27th.  I'm a little freaked out about this race. I know I can do the distance, but this will be my first "run-cation."  I'm going to support my bestie Allison in her first foray into double-digit race land.  We haven't seen each other since she moved away several years ago, so a visit is long overdue.

Other than the travel arrangements and worrying I am going to forget something, I am freaked out about two little words.  "ROLLING HILLS."  Ummm, I live and train in a state that is basically at sea level. EVERYWHERE.  The only hills we have are bridges.  How in the world do I prep for "rolling hills??"

I really didn't feel better when the race posted their elevation map.  Yeah, those roll all right.  A LOT.  Again, I can run 10 miles, and I can run a .5 mile bridge a few times, but how do you simulate THIS in pancake state:
Hills intimidate me.  The only place I've really ever run is here in South Florida.  I don't know how to race hills.

A different Allison, this one a 2014 Ragnar teammate, was randomly discussing hill training at one of the local running stores.  The staff there recommended doing repeats on the Rickenbacker Causeway.  I've done that before.  I'm no stranger to this bridge.  Since I work very close to it, I have logged plenty of miles on it.  Its really the only hill experience I have.  But they offered a twist--rather than just running up and down, they suggested running to the first light pole, back down, to the 2nd lightpole, back down, etc.

What's the Rickenbacker Causeway, you ask?  See that BBB (Big Booty Bitch Bridge) along the skyline?  That's a 1 mile, 100 foot bridge.  Best "hill" in SoFl.   Very scenic and beautiful too. 

Anyway, long story short I took that idea and modified it a bit by adding a retreat to the previous light pole into the mix.  (1st lightpole, back down, 2nd light pole, first light pole, 2nd light pole, back down, 3rd light pole, 2nd light pole, 3rd light pole, back down, etc.).  The result looked SOMETHING like this.  I say something because, yeah, the first and last miles were on flat. Obviously the elevation sensor in my GPS is less than accurate. 

So, as far as rolling hills simulations go, this is about as good as it gets.   I hope to do this a few more times before I climb on a plane in 30 short days and do the real thing. 

How often do you head for the hills?

1 comment:

  1. I don't like your hill! That bridge is tough. We don't really have hills either. Or none that I have time to get to and train on. I should probably use the incline on the treadmill, huh?

    ReplyDelete