Saturday, March 2, 2013

Triathlon Season

I have been looking forward to March since . . . oh, September.  I know that sounds silly.  But September was the last time I did a triathlon, and the minute it was over, I couldn't wait for the season to start again. 

This is the first time I've ever had a "season" for anything.  Last year I started out with a sprint distance triathlon in June.  It was a part of a trilogy--3 races + a bonus round.  I thought it would be great to do them all, but in the back of my mind I really didn't think my body would be able to handle it.

It not only handled it, I ended up doing all four races, got my first road bike, and landed in the podium for the bonus round.   I was super proud of myself, and felt like I could say I was an athlete without feeling like a poser.

This year, I have been STOKED for Tri season.  This year, my tri season runs from March to November and includes at least 7 races.  I can NOT WAIT to see what this season holds. 


Even before I became the fitter, happier version of myself, I loved to swim and ride my bike.  Some of my best childhood memories are the ones involving my mom's cousin, Kirk, taking me on long, adventurous bike rides.  And the water was always my happy place.  That's sort of how I ended up studying marine biology in school.  So yeah--Swim, Bike, Run?  Yes please!

I finally started hitting the pool this week.  I've been putting it off.  The Y pool is closed for renovations until March 18th.  It poses a logistical problem to try and find the time to swim with my little bit in tow.  But I made it happen 3 times in the past week.  Our community pool is COLD for this South Florida girl.  Especially right now, with a cold front swooping though.  Friday's swim was in 64 degree weather with no sun. May not sound so bad for all you northerners, but COLD for us Florida people.   Our fearless leaders at Team Tough Chik introduced me to SwimPlan.com.  Loving the plans on there--I used to get bored swimming laps, but the break downs on there make a 60 minute workout fly by.  I'm looking forward to spending time in the pool and become a stronger swimmer.  Last year, the swim was my weak link.

The other reason I LOVE triathlon is they actually have categories based on weight.  For women, the Athen category is 150lbs +, and the men have Clydesdale and often even SuperClyde, starting at 180lbs.  Let's be real, I don't ever expect an age group placement because my 180lb self is not going to beat some of these 130lb speed demon women who have been running their whole lives.  I love that the podium is a possibility for me in triathlon. It's not a place I ever thought I'd see myself. 


So yeah, looking forward to triathlon season.  Just a teeny tiny bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment